On March 11, 1903, a subscription list was started to build a Catholic church in Norwalk. August Brieske subscribed and contributed the largest amount which is why the church was named St. Augustine. August also donated the statue of St. Augustine which still graces the main altar today.
Land was purchased from August Rakeman for $400 and the first frame church was built. The first mass was late in 1903 and bells were installed and blessed on March 25, 1904. The first pews were donated by Sts. Peter and Paul Church of Pine Hollow and the church was dedicated on May 24, 1904.
On June 1, 1916, the church was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. Masses were held in Bieth's Hall until the new brick church was completed in 1918. Many people donated the stained-glass windows and the new building was dedicated on May 28, 1918.
In 2002, the interior was completely renovated.
In 2010, plans began to make the church handicap accessible. A generous donation was received from a parishioner and the project began. Other parishioners along with the PCCW contributed to the project which consisted of a lift accessible from the street entrance giving access to the basement and the body of the church. the dedication of the lift was on December 24, 2010.